As your southeast Michigan home improvement experts, we think that it is important that you have all of the right information about the products that you are considering for your home. Whether you are shopping for new windows, residing your home, or need an upgrade to your home’s existing insulation, you should be making an educated and informed decision before you settle on a product. When it comes to having new siding installed on your home, this education process is very important. There are a variety of options that you can choose from, and it is important that you know the pros and cons of each, so that you can make the right choice for your home. Here are some things that you should know about our preference, vinyl siding.
The positives of a product should always outweigh the downfalls. When you are selecting new siding for your home, it is important to remember that there is no perfect product. Here are some of the great things about vinyl siding.
- Durable – Today’s vinyl siding is nothing like the vinyl siding from even ten years ago. Many people have visions of weather beaten, sun-faded vinyl siding that crumbles if you just look at it. That is nothing like the vinyl siding of today. Advances in chemistry and manufacturing techniques have created a new vinyl product that is not only strong and attractive, but is also meant to withstand the elements without crumbling, cracking or breaking. Today’s vinyl siding can easily stand up to hail, heavy winds, ice and snow.
- Quick and Easy to Install – Wood and aluminum siding can be very time consuming and challenging to install. For your siding installer, vinyl is a simple day’s work. Vinyl siding is meant to lock together to form a weather resistant seal between pieces. And, because it is an easy to cut material, your installer doesn’t have to use special tools to cut and shape your new vinyl siding. These installation features make re-siding your home an easy and relatively short process.
- Variety – There are a ton of options for vinyl siding. Vinyl siding comes in vertical and horizontal forms so you can create visual interest on your home or fit siding into unique or challenging places of your home’s exterior. Siding manufactures even make siding pieces that replicate the look of wood shakes that were popular on homes from certain eras. Then, there is the variety of colors. Vinyl siding comes in just about any color you can imagine. You no longer have to settle for the boring beiges and greys of years past.
- Low Maintenance – This is a big winner for many of our customers. Once you install vinyl siding, there is very little maintenance necessary to keep it looking great. It can use a good power washing from time to time, but that is about all you need to do to have great looking vinyl siding.
And Now, the Cons…
Like we stated before, there are no perfect products out there. Here’s some disadvantages to selecting vinyl siding.
- You Can’t Paint It – So, select a color that you won’t get bored with and will stand the test of time. You may love purple, but purple siding might get old to look at, and if you try to sell your home, it might be a challenge. Vinyl siding cannot be painted (at least not easily or inexpensively), so make sure you select colors that you’ll be happy with for a long time.
- Not the Cheapest Option – Yes, there are less expensive siding options. And if you are on a tight budget, vinyl siding may not be the best for your pocket book. However, all vinyl siding manufacturers have a complete line of siding in a variety of price ranges. Make sure that you know all of your options before buying. And remember, the cheaper option may not be the longest lasting option or as maintenance free as vinyl siding.
New siding for your home is a big expense. So, when you are in the market for new siding, it’s important that you make the best choice for your home and your budget. Martino Home Improvements is here to help you find the right vinyl siding product for your home. With a full line of vinyl siding products you are sure to find the right siding for both your home and your pocket book. Call us today at (248) 629-9260 for an estimate or use our convenient online contact form.